Thursday, July 06, 2006

Why Minneapolis?

Minneapolis would never have occurred to me prior to last year, when I was offered a job opportunity so delightful I had to ask the human resources agent to repeat herself when she told me what it was. It came with a substantial raise, relocation expenses, good insurance and great work resources. This company, a retailer that shall henceforth remain nameless, seemed to be staffed with hip, intelligent, and uniformly competent people -- seemingly incomprehensible conditions, really. When I first visited, downtown Minneapolis seemed vibrant and safe, the antithesis of downtown Detroit. Grandmas shop there. People enjoy public spaces. When I flew home, Paul Westerberg was getting off the plane I was boarding. I took it as a sign. I’d been struggling with a love/hate relationship with the Detroit area for the better part of 20 years and decided it was time for the big break up. Goodbye Motor City.

I have a house in South Mpls built in 1920 with a nice garden. There is a veterinarian, doctor, bank, hardware store, cleaners, a bar, a bookstore, a movie theater, and scads of restaurants within two blocks of the house. There’s a bus stop with reliable service within a block. My neighborhood is racially mixed and safe. It's an urban planner's dream. I could ask for little more.

It’s been a year since the move and I’ve been so busy I have not done a great job of keeping up with friends. Blogging facilitates that…albeit feebly. With that, my apologies for my silence.

2 comments:

Steve said...

You rock.

I always start blogs with good intentions and yet they peter away. The only one I can seem to keep going is my show. [Psst...listen]

Best of luck, baby.

Anonymous said...

Julie? Julie.
Very cool that you did this. I've been wondering how you've been and now I can check in to find out -- plus, I LOVE a great commentary! I enjoyed the "Parade" one and look forwrd to more. Maybe some day I'll be motivated enough to start my own too.
I'm glad Minn is treating you well and hope to visit in the comming year, I think it's a great place too. "CHEAPO!" Wahoo!
Things are pretty good here -- no major news right now but I'll keep you updated.
Take care -- JK

Best Cat Ever

We recently lost our beloved Cornish Rex cat, Rory. He was 16, and I was fortunate to have known him for 14 of those years. He was known at ...