Friday, May 16, 2008

London

May 15, 2006
It’s drizzling in the morning but that’s fine. Spending all day in the V&A isn’t hard to do; I proved it handily today. Afterhours, I went to see Even at the Windmill in Brixton. What a killer band. They’re incredibly tight and tuneful, and sound enormous for a three-piece. It’s a shame that their records are so tough to get in the US.

I got hooked on Oz indie rock in the 80’s – Hoodoo Gurus, Stems, Saints, Lime Spiders, etc. – and it’s a hard habit to kick. Now there are great bands like Even, You Am I, and the Sand Pebbles. There must be something in the water there, because these bands all rock so much more than most American and English indies. A lot of them have such a Detroit sensibility they sound like home, despite the fact that they’re about physically removed from Detroit as you can get.

I may have to go see Even again tonight at the Dirty Water Club, because the DWC was on my list anyway, and it’s a guaranteed good show. Even are playing all over town after playing All Tomorrow’s Parties. Funding their trip here probably wasn’t cheap.

No comments:

Best Cat Ever

We recently lost our beloved Cornish Rex cat, Rory. He was 16, and I was fortunate to have known him for 14 of those years. He was known at ...