Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Five Amazing Twin Cities things, part 2: The Sound Unseen Festival

An annual festival featuring independent music films from around the world, Sound Unseen is designed with record geeks like me in mind. This year there are features on buskers, hip hop, indie rock, garage, and Chinese punk, for starters.

In 2005, I saw "Derailroaded", a bio of Wildman Fischer (of Dr. Demento/”My Name Is Larry” fame) that managed to be touching and utterly bent at the same time. How bent, you ask? It features a Larry Fischer/Rosemary Clooney duet, that's how. In 2006, I look forward to features on the Pixies and Long Gone John, but the big event for me is August 24, when Sound Unseen hosts the new Monks documentary, “The Transatlantic Feedback.” Hopefully, this doc'll go some way to bring these proto-punk godfathers the attention they deserve. Better still, it'll be topped off by a live performance by the Monks’ Gary Burger and friends. I was at an art fair in Loring Park earlier this month and was surprised to find an accomplished metalsmith showing a Monks brooch… when I asked about it , it turns out the metalsmith was Gary’s wife, Cindy! Naturally, I bought the brooch and’ll be wearing it to the show. It’s Monk time!

www.soundunseen.com

No comments:

Best Cat Ever

We recently lost our beloved Cornish Rex cat, Rory. He was 16, and I was fortunate to have known him for 14 of those years. He was known at ...